705 Leander Dr
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm
Leander Animal Control duties are performed by civilian uniformed officers. Duties include routine patrol of the city for violations of the Leander animal control ordinance and other appropriate laws. They also register animals as required, investigate animal bites, animal abuse complaints, impound cats and dogs, and quarantine dogs and cats, as appropriate.
General Tips for Dogs and Cats Outside the Home
- Dogs must be on a leash if they are outside your fenced yard. Violations of this requirement are titled "Dog at Large"
- Cats do not have to be on a leash, but they are required to wear their rabies tag and registration tag
- Dogs are required to wear their rabies tag and registration tag outside of the home
- Pets making noise outside could be in violation of the animal control ordinance or the noise nuisance ordinance
Registration of Animals
The animal control officers register dogs and cats within the city, as required by the Leander Code of City Ordinances. The ordinance requires that all dogs and cats four months of age and older be registered annually with Leander Animal Control. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required. Pre annum fees are as follows:
- Non-neutered dog or cat - $5.00
- Neutered dog or cat - $3.00
- Other animals - $3.00
Registration is done at the Leander Police Department Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Animals picked up within the city are taken to the Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter. For more information about the shelter, locating lost pets or adopting a pet, please visit their web site:
Reporting Loose Animals
When calling to report an animal that is running loose, please give a basic description of the animal, where it was last seen and any other information that may be helpful.