2016 Bond Election
In 2016, Leander City Council passed an ordinance calling for a May 7 bond election with propositions totaling an amount not to exceed $71,635,000. Identified and prioritized by a bond task force committee, the projects approved within four ballot propositions included street improvements, parks development, construction of a recreation center, and construction of a senior center.
- Proposition Number 1 - Street Improvements
- Approved with 1,305 total votes (880 for; 425 against)
- Bonds in an amount not to exceed $22,800,000 for Metro Drive and San Gabriel Parkway extensions, improvements to Raider Way, E Woodview Drive, N Brushy Street, and East Street, and intersection improvements on W South Street at S West Street. Projects and improvements would include the acquisition of rights-of-way, and the relocation of utility lines, drainage, curbs, gutters, landscaping, and sidewalks.
- Proposition Number 2 - Parks Development
- Approved with 1,302 total votes (800 for; 502 against)
- Bonds in an amount not to exceed $26,650,000 for the acquisition of property and development of city parks and the improvement of existing city parks.
- Proposition Number 3 - Recreation Center
- Approved with 1,298 total votes (689 for; 609 against)
- Bonds in an amount not to exceed $18,000,000 for the acquisition of land and the construction and equipping of a recreation center for the citizens of Leander.
- Proposition Number 4 - Senior Center
- Approved with 1,298 total votes (755 for; 543 against)
- Bonds in an amount not to exceed $4,185,000 for the acquisition of land and the construction and equipping of a senior center for the citizens of Leander.