2020 Leander Comprehensive Plan
Leander City Council adopted the 2020 Leander Comprehensive Plan as the unified policy guide and action plan for the City. This plan was adopted on April 1, 2021. This process began in October 2019 and was shaped through the involvement of community members, city staff, land owners, business owners, and other non-government partners. Our collective vision identified in the Leander Comprehensive Plan is supported by policies and actions that will be implemented in the future.
2020 Leander Comprehensive Plan document chapters and Future Land Use Map are shown below. The Comprehensive Plan was updated by the City Council on April 8, 2022. The updates modified Chapter 4 - Community Direction to add more opportunities for commercial development and clarify the requirements. The future land use map was also updated to add additional Activity Centers and expand the Employment Center land use categories.
For more information about the comprehensive plan, maps, chapters, or plan development process, please contact us.
The citizen of Leander envisions a future that includes:
- A strong and diverse economy
- People-centered places and spaces
- A deep sense of community pride and heritage
- Destination experiences and amenities
- A dynamic and attractive business climate
The Comprehensive Plan is a long-range document that serves as the policy guide and framework for land use decisions for the next decade. The plan highlights how the City has changed over the past and creates a vision for what Leander look like in the future. The plan provides goals and strategies to implement the vision of the city. This plan is evaluated annually and updated at least every five years.
A Comprehensive Plan DOES
- Provide a vision for the future
- Serve as a guide for developers and citizens
- Provide an action plan for ordinance amendments
- Establish a basis for zoning and policies
- Allow flexibility and is adaptive
A Comprehensive Plan DOES NOT
- Establish zoning
- Replace zoning regulations, budgets, capital improvement programs, city charters, or other regulatory documents
- Provide rigid policy
The City Staff will present an implementation plan for discussion to implement the following goals (in no particular order):
- City Center - A new urban city center to capitalize on the Leander Station.
- Commercial Development - High-quality commercial development welcomed and facilitated by the City.
- Community Branding - Establishment of a community brand that showcases Leander's uniqueness.
- Economic Growth - Quality development and economic growth generate a diverse tax base.
- Education and Community Partnerships - Strong partnerships with education providers and community groups to achieve community goals and foster civic pride.
- Employment - Leander is well positioned as an attractive place for employers.
- Housing - Long-term neighborhood integrity and a balanced, diverse mix of housing.
- Municipal Services - Cost-effective, exceptional municipal services commensurate with growth.
- Old Town - A destination focused on the arts, shopping, and entertainment honoring Leander's heritage.
- Outdoor Spaces - Activated, connected, and destination-based outdoor spaces.
- Transportation - Safe, connected, attractive streets as part of a balanced and diverse transportation network.
- Utilities - Integrated and well-planned utility infrastructure to serve desired growth.