Our primary mission is to provide the highest level of policing, through a philosophy of "service first." Service first is more than what we provide, it's how we think and act. It is a commitment to improving the quality of life of the citizens we serve and protect. The department's core values are "Integrity, Respect and Dedication."
Our Core Values
We believe integrity is a cornerstone of our profession.
- We are committed to holding ourselves to the highest moral and ethical standards to promote public trust and commit ourselves to personal and professional excellence.
- We are people of character and principle.
- We do what is right, even when no one is looking.
- We hold ourselves accountable for our actions and inactions and are open and honest in our dealings with each other.
We manage our responsibilities and resources, taking ownership of our work and demonstrating good stewardship of the department and the City of Leander.
- We take responsibility as individuals and as members of a team.
- We keep our skills, knowledge, and abilities current.
- We plan and organize to be effective.
- We are accessible, responsive, and a resource for others.
We place the highest value on every individual life and will treat each person with respect, courtesy, and compassion - obeying and enforcing the law without bias.
We recognize the demanding nature of our work and promote an environment conducive to the total well-being of our employees.
- We provide opportunities for personal, professional, and organizational development.
- We provide supervision that is supportive, competent, honest, and fair.
- We actively support physical and psychological wellness for all members.
- We provide support for families and significant others.
We are dedicated to the organization, each other, our families, and the citizens we serve.
- We are committed to excellence and strive to provide the highest quality of professional law enforcement service to the community with the ultimate goal of maintaining order.
- We are dedicated to our core values, the oath of honor, and to upholding our oath of office.
We attain our vision through the collective contributions of our people and the community.
- We encourage involvement in our community and our organization.
- We utilize individual differences to provide a broader organizational perspective.
We encourage creative problem-solving, celebrating our accomplishments, and acknowledging there will be mistakes from which we can learn.
- We promote communication by talking with and listening to each other.
- We use concrete and diverse ways to solicit, acknowledge, and implement the ideas of others.
- We use counseling, debriefing, and performance reviews to learn and not to place blame; we recognize achievements.