Public Safety Cadets - Post No. 0641
The Leander Police Department chartered its first Public Safety Cadet Post, previously called the Leander Police Explorers Post, in 2010. Since then, several area youths have been members of the Post and have experienced its benefits. Most of the current members are students at one of the three high schools in Leander, but membership is open to youth between 14 and 20 who are interested in law enforcement.
About Law Enforcement Cadets
Law Enforcement Cadets provide educational training programs for young adults on law enforcement's purposes, mission, and objectives. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities, and community service activities. The program's primary goals are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation.
In the Leander Public Safety Cadets, you will develop leadership skills, respect for police officers and other cadets, new personal skills, marksmanship, and law enforcement protocols. You will learn about accident scene procedures, high-risk traffic stops, and proper equipment usage. You will have an opportunity to participate in events and competitions and provide community service.
To see the requirements to become a Leander Public Safety Cadet - CLICK HERE.
We encourage prospective cadets to attend at least one of our regular meetings and see what the program is about. If the prospective cadet enjoys the meeting and wants to join, they can obtain an application from an advisor.
For information on when the next meeting is, please email our Community Services Division, contact either 512-528-2812 or 512-528-2821, or fill out a Leander Public Safety Cadet Interest Card.
A large part of our Post's activities is focused on Community Service. Whether it is traffic control, setup and tear down for a significant event, trash cleanup, or other types of community service, our Post would love to try and help. Would you like the Leander Public Safety Cadet-Post Number 0641 to come to help out with an event or community project? Please fill out This form, and we will let you know if we can help.
- Age: 14 to 20 years old; 9th grade and above
- Be enrolled in school and have at least a "C" average
- A serious interest in law enforcement
- Must not have been arrested for anything other than a traffic violation (Please Note: Any arrest for a criminal breach will be taken under advisement by the Post Advisor and the Advisory Executive Board, who may waive these criteria depending on the facts surrounding the situation)
- Parental approval must be obtained if under 18.
- Complete a Leander Police Cadet Application Packet
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Applicants must have reliable transportation.
- Must meet all membership requirements of Learning for Life.
Please note: Color, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background, economic status, and citizenship are not criteria for learning for participation.