Location: 211 S U.S. Highway 183 on the west side of U.S. 183, south of Atkin Street
Marker Text: Leander grew from the once thriving town of Bagdad, founded in 1854 (1 mi. W). When the Austin and Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882, a new town was surveyed and named for railroad official Leander Brown (1817-89). Homes and businesses from the older community quickly moved to the new site along the rail line. The post office was brought here from Bagdad in 1882. The school started here in 1893 has grown into the largest school district in Williamson County. Originally in a rural area, Leander had boomed in recent years due to Highland Lakes development. (1975)
A.S. Mason House
Please note: No photo available.
Location: Bagdad Road, located just north of 211 U.S. Highway 183 along the west (south bound) side of the highway.
Marker Text: Local farmer Alpheus S. Mason (1839-1926) constructed this house about 1866. Situated on Bagdad Road, an important early military and commercial route in central Texas, the home features a double-galleried porch with Victorian detailing. Mason, a veteran of the Civil War, was instrumental in the early growth of Bagdad (now a ghost town) and Leander (3 mi. NE) through his leadership in church, business, Masonic, and political activities. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983. (1883)
Location: Located on the southeast corner of the intersection F.M. 2243 and Badgad Road
Marker Text: Opened 1857 with burial of 3-year-old John Babcock, whose father Charles later gave tract to community. Other early burials were Civil War veteran John Haile and Col. C. C. Mason. Leander founded 1882 when railroad bypassed Bagdad, shares use of this tract, enlarged in 1959 and 1966. (1972)
Please note: No photo available
Location: Located.2 miles south on Bagdad Road from the intersection of FM 2243 and Bagdad Road
Marker Text: Built in fall of 1850, along with adjoining store and post office, all of native stone, by John Frederick Heinatz (1822-91), a settler from Germany. He was for many years postmaster of Bagdad, a public-school trustee, superintendent of Sunday School, banker, and practical advisor to his neighbors. He married Emilie Krohn and had nine children, six boys and three girls, seven of whom lived to adulthood in this home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972. (1972)
Here Sleep the Victims of the "Webster Massacre"
Location: Davis Cemetery located about half mile east of the intersection of FM 2243 and 183A Toll.
Marker Text: Here sleep the victims of the "Webster Massacre" of August 27, 1839. About thirty homeseekers headed by John Webster en route to what is now Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After attempting to flee under cover of darkness, they were trapped in this vicinity. Mrs. Webster and her two children were captured and later released. All the others were killed. Martha Webster then but three years old was later married to Marmaduke Strickland. (1936)
Leander Presbyterian Church
Location: 101 N West Street
Marker Text: Organized in 1857 by the Rev. R. M. Overstreet, this church was originally known as Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church and was located in the town of Bagdad. When the new railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882 and the town of Leander was founded on the rail line, the church members voted to move their congregation to the new town. A church building was erected in 1884, on land belonging to church member Sarah J. Walker, who deeded the property to church trustees in 1895. Many descendants of early members remain active in the life of the church. (1986)
Location: 401 W South Street
Marker Text: The origin of the Leander school system can be traded to the 1855 school held in Bagdad, the pre-Civil War community that disappeared after Leander was founded along the railroad. In 1893, a free public school opened in the new community. business leaders organized a high school association in 1899 to furnish support for the educational system. Students began graduating from Leander High School in 1931. Over the years, the schools have grown to accommodate increases in enrollment, while providing a vital service to the community. (1986)
Leander United Methodist Church
Location: 107 S West Drive
Marker Text: This church was organized about 1860 in the nearby community of Bagdad (1 mi. W). Early worship services were conducted by local preachers and missionaries in a log schoolhouse and a Masonic lodge hall before a sanctuary was constructed there in 1879. The church moved to Leander in 1901, following development of the railroad town. The Bagdad sanctuary was relocated at this site on land deeded by Sarah J. Walker. Many prominent area leaders have been members here, including several who later became ministers.
Location: 211 S U.S. Highway 183
Marker Text: On Dec. 29, 1982, Texas Highway Department archeologists uncovered the skeleton of a prehistoric human female at the Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Site (approx. 6 mi. SE). Because of the proximity of the grave site to the town of Leander, the skeleton became known as the Leanderthal Lady. Carbon testing indicates the woman lived 10-13,000 years ago. She was about 30 years old at the time of death and measured 5' 3" in height. As one of the earliest intact burials uncovered in the United States, the site is a valuable source of information on the nation’s prehistoric past. (1985)
Location: CR 260, Liberty Hill
Marker Text: An emissary of the Mexican government, with a small group of men conveying ammunition to the Indians on the Lampasas River, was surprised by Rangers under Lieutenant James O. Rice in May, 1839, and killed.
Norton Moses Lodge Number 336, A.F. & A.M.
Location: 201 Sonny Drive
Marker Text: Organized in the Williamson County community of Bagdad, this Masonic Lodge was chartered formally in 1871. It was named for Norton Moses, who participated in the group's formation. A lodge building, constructed in 1870, also served as a community meeting center and public school. In 1899 the Masons moved to the new railroad town of Leander, where they actively supported the public schools and other community activities. Through its leadership, the lodge has been instrumental in the development of western Williamson County. (1985)
Location: 11330 Hero Way West
Marker Text: Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The home consists of two structures under one roof. The rear part features shiplap siding and the front exhibits milled siding and a five-bay facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988. (1988)
Pioneers House (Bryson Farmstead)
Location: Just east of 183A Toll on San Gabriel Parkway
Marker Text: Antedating town of Leander, this place was a 3-day wagon distance from Austin. First two rooms were built (1872) by J. C. and Nancy Bryson, of rock from San Gabriel River and Jenks Branch; hewn cedar logs and shingles from Bastrop area. Had several additions, for a family of eight children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970. (1970)
Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church
Location: Southwest corner of the intersection of County Roads 207 and 202
Marker Text: Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church was organized in 1908 after Wesleyan Holiness preacher George Sutton conducted a revival at Loafer's Glory School on Wilson Atwood's farm. Beginning in 1909, evangelist Fred Lohmann served as minister and conducted tent revivals which drew hundreds of people. A small frame sanctuary was erected about 1910 on land donated by Jim Moore, who led the congregation until his death in 1917. Many ministers and missionaries originated from Loafer's Glory Church, which continued services under several leaders until 1930. (1994)
Site of a Block House
Location: U.S. 183, 1.5 miles S of FM 2243, at the entrance to the Blockhouse Creek subdivision
Marker Text: Built by Texas Rangers under Captain John J. Tumlinson in 1836. Destroyed by Indians in 1837. This was the first white man's post in Williamson County. (1936)
Location: 211 South U.S. Highway 183
Marker Text: 1.75 miles east to the graves of the victims of the Webster Massacre, which occurred August 27, 1839 when John Webster and a party of about thirty, en route to a land grant in Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After attempting to flee under cover of darkness, they were trapped on an open prairie. Mrs. Webster and her two children were made prisoners, all the others were killed. In death they rest together in one grave. (1936)