Applications are closed for the Fall 2023 class and will reopen Summer 2024.
Citizens are encouraged to apply each Fall for Leander Citizen University. They will acquire a better understanding of their city government and services as well as intergovernmental relationship. City officials will, in turn, gain valuable insights into citizen’s priorities and needs from their involvement.
Provide an opportunity for citizens to learn about the City of Leander government through first-hand experience and gain exposure to the wide range of city services, functions, activities and issues.
Classes are limited to 20 students. Citizen University is open to City of Leander residents only on a first-come-first-served basis. Once the class is full, remaining applicants will be placed on a wait list in the order in which they applied and will be notified if a space becomes available. There is no cost to participate.
The Leander Citizen University will consist of nine sessions. Each session will be approximately two hour sessions running from 6-8 p.m on Tuesday evenings. In order to graduate from the City of Leander Citizen University, a student must not miss more than two sessions. Absence must be approved. Refreshments will be provided. Please note there will be various meeting locations. No late arrivals allowed. Participants must make their own childcare arrangements.
- City Administration
- Municipal Court and Finance
- Park & Recreation/Leander Public Library
- Planning & Zoning
- Engineering & Capital Projects
- Fire Department/Code Enforcement
- Public Works
- Police & Animal Services
- Economic Development
- Graduation at City Council Meeting
- Live within the city limits of Leander, Texas.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be a registered voter.
- Not be a candidate for political office or serving on a city board or commission during the term of the class.
- Not be currently holding a public office.
- Not be an employee of the City of Leander.
- Fill out online application. Applications are closed.
- Application Deadline: TBD - Summer 2024 for Fall 2024 sessions
- Applicants notified of status by: August 2024
Staff contact: Lyndee Matthews, Community Engagement Manager, (512) 528-2947 or Email Lyndee Matthews